Wednesday, October 31, 2012

V is for Voice

Voice.

It's more than your speaking voice.
It's more than your singing voice.

It's the channel of your authentic self.

And that's something that I've been thinking a lot about lately.

(Insert the chorus of The Who's "Who are You?" here)

I was a precocious child.
I was a survivor.
I was a dutiful parochial student.
I was a normal public school kid.
I was a wild promiscuous teenager.
I was a freedom loving young adult.
I was a exhibitionist free spirit.
I was a pothead.
I was a wise ass.
I was a rocker.
I was a class clown.
I was a wild thing.
I was a sword.
I was a conformist.
I was a wife.
I was a mother.
I was a Sunday School teacher.
I was a Bible thumper.
I was a Camp Fire Leader.
I was a gardener.
I was a homemaker.
I was a stay at home mom.
I was a parent at parent-teacher conferences.
I was a peacemaker.
I was a seeker.
I was a tarot card reader.
I was an untamed soul.
I was a divorced woman.
I was a pagan.
I was a flirt.
I was a mate again.
I was a singer.
I was a performer.
I was a front person.
I was a gypsy.
I was an empty nester.
I was a hoarders wife.
I was a writer.
I was a giver.
I was a bigamist.
I was codependant.
I was a stirrer of a pot.
I was a detective.
I was a filing cabinet.
I was glue.
I was a shredder.
I was set free.

I was.....

all these things.

And now, it's time to find out what all these things are when put together.

That's my voice.

This melting pot of muck and mire and gems and caviar is my authentic self.

It sounds like...... the cry of a banshee singing softly in church.

This is my voice.

Time to let it ring from the rooftops.


What's your voice sound like?

No comments: