Friday, February 8, 2013

Cathedral Day ...Nemo Storm Approacheth...

So a Catholic, a Jew and a Pagan go into a Church.....

No really. :)

Today as the big winter storm Nemo approaches us, we set off on a VERY cold and wintry day for adventure!

I LOVE Church architecture. Bascillicas. Cathedrals. Temples. And I have found several friends who share my addiction. In an advance planning mode, my friend Brian said he knew of a few churches we could go see. But he wouldn't tell me WHICH ones :) It was a surprise. So we met him this morning at Holy Family Church in Syracuse. I had no clue there was a beautiful stone Shrine there out back of the church!

Here it is:








Korinna and Brian make good friends right off :)


And an Angel....











A Goddess .....in a Grotto....

 ok, maybe more than one :)




Then we went inside to the "Adoration Chapel" there...
a small and sweet space for reflection.








There was a parishoner there deep in prayer and we tried to be very quiet whilst he prostrated himself to heaven in a deep and reverent prayer....

Went outside and over to the Church proper.....it looks very modern on the outside...
didn't know what to expect on the inside....
But there was some really lovely sculptures and stained glass within....


A most beautiful collection of  Madonna art and stained glass...











 Then we went to Basicilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus....Syracuse NY





 Big beautiful amazing Bascillica...
Gorgeous doors...

 I am gonna make this a two parter.....

Join me INSIDE the Bascillica in the next blog.....

No comments: