Monday, May 14, 2012

Janus~ The Two-faced God

In Roman times, Janus was the God of beginnings and endings.
He is the God of first steps, doorways, thresholds, transitions, bridges and  yes...even the calendar.

The month of January was named for Janus, and rightly so...for in January we look back and forwards at the same time. Just like the song I sing, "The January Man".

Yes, Janus is the two-faced God....but not in the sense of the word, "two-faced" , as in the catty sort of way that you may think....but rather the "Looking back to remember...and Looking forward to anticipate" sort of way.

We must look at our past to find where we've been.
"Hindsight is 20/20" they say.
It's true. I've fallen into repeated pitfalls.
Most likely, you have too?

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

We NEED to look at our past. Our triumphs, our shortcomings.
We need to be wise to the ways that we have failed and succeeded in the past. 

Have I made mistakes?
YES.

Have I also overcome a lot of shite?
YES.

Janus is the one that can make us AWARE of these things.
We need to be able to look at our past, with kind eyes that have seen both regret and also those eyes that have seen the pride in our efforts.

When I look back.....I see myself and my choices in the past. I see that I have tripped, stumbled, went off the path, got lost, made errors...fucked up.

But I also see that I have been very brave, kind-hearted, forgiving, and walked on despite my injuries (from others and my own foolish or careless choices), I see I have also gotten to my destination many times, footsore and weary, but with seeing wondrous vistas and making many new wonderful discoveries and friendships along the way.

Janus reminds us that we need to see BOTH viewpoints.


We cannot focus merely on the past. Those that do, never grow and trip and falter and never get to where they want to go, for they have no destination down the road.

Those that focus merely on the future, never take into account the trials and pitfalls and bear traps that have caught them in the past and keep falling prey to the same problems over and over and over again.

We need to see both sides of the coin.
Heads and Tails.
Yin and Yang.
Black and White.
True and False.
Beginnings and Endings.
Left and Right.
Loud and Soft.
Good and Bad.

This is how we make more informed choices.

We need to be armed with this information to combine our duality into ONE.

The past holds the clues to the future.
This is the KEY to walking our path.

"He who controls the past commands the future. He who command the future conquers the past." ~ George Orwell.




No comments: